Monday, August 20, 2012

18550519 22:18:06

"Were you scared?", she asked.
Cook contemplated for a moment before responding.
"No, not scared. Not like, shivering and babbling and crying out like 'oh what in the world are we gonna do' scared. I was just more or less just like shocked, yknow? I had no idea why anything was happening but when you see the house you was in burning and the barn burning next to it and watching it from a hundred steps away because you can't get no closer without the heat choking you, you see all that. That's the end of the world, basically, right there. I'm asleep and next thing I'm running to the woods and turning around to see that. And just watch. No way to stop it. We were just dazed. Yeah, that's it. Dazed. Dulled and awestruck. But once we could start diggin things out, we had some luck on it right off."
"Mhm." Elise curled into Cook's body, nuzzling the bridge of her nose against his arm.
"We found Randy, then once we could get back to the place, we found the chest there. They just there to burn the place, they didn't steal nothin. And that chest was just in the right place or somethin because it was still there and the coin still inside. Then he go for three days to get the stores, and then - then, yeah, I got scared yeah. All I could do was lay down some dead branches by a tree, make a fort like thing, and find a place to lay down and store some berries or whatever I could find. Randy had some of the hay left behind, and I started chewin on that some days too, I was so hungry and there was just barely nothin to find. And it was just that clearing in the woods that whole time, just me in there. Me bein a child and alone there, yeah I was jumpin and spooked by damned everything I heard."

No comments:

Post a Comment