Saturday, August 17, 2013

19281128 17:47:09

19281128 17:47:09

AD-S-1640

The door buzzed open between the second and third time that Pulaski knocked upon the fogged glass set within the door frame. The otherwise darkened hallway beyond the door was illuminated by the light which came from the room at his right. He entered the room and was glad to see his his host standing and waiting for him, though the large smile on his face was unexpected.
"Good evening, sir." Pulaski offered his hand to shake.
"Yes, yes, glad you're here." Torrence actually had an air of giddiness in his voice. Pulaski saw this mood in him so infrequently that he was starting to become a bit concerned for the topic at hand. He took to the empty chair in front of the desk as Torrence returned to his seat at the opposite side.
"So if I didn't know any better, I'd think that you just got done rolling up with a pair of sisters. What's the news?"
"The news is that he called and that he accepted to join us. We got a new man in our ranks. And this guy, I think he'll have a bright future with us. And I think you're one of the best guys I got to show him the ropes and things that we do."
"Huh, really? OK. But now you're talkin like he isn't going to be one of my boys - so he'll be one of yours then?"
"Yep yep. This guy... he's somethin else. He's, well. Like how some folk would call someone a loose cannon - well this guy is a Goddamned loose company. But that's just his ways, see, behind that he's a honest soldier of the Lord. A white knight like a saint, you'll think. You'll see soon enough."
"Wait, you're serious?" Pulaski nearly snarled his teeth when he asked this in a sneer. "This guy you got is some sort of lunatic Christian Soldier of the Church or some shit? And you want me to be his teacher? Me? Is there a gas leak in here?"
"Ha ha, yes I mean it, yes I want you to help him settle in. See, you're closer to his age and you get along with basically everyone when you feel like it. Like you said before, you got that easy air to you. And you right about that. Most of the other folk, I'm not ... I think there's more of a chance that anyone else might rub him the wrong way. And you don't want to rub this guy the wrong way." Torrence dropped the smile on his face when he stated the last sentence.
"Yeah you say that and mention that he's some holy roller shithead. How the fuck am I supposed to make my normal rounds with a guy like that in tow? That ain't gonna work."
"Let some of your men like Kolmar take duties for a bit. And you right though, yes, there are some areas this guy don't need to be. Basically any of the hen houses, for starters. You'll mainly be doin things to have him be seen with you and going to do things like collecting on wheels and such. He won't need no exposure to the fun stuff until I tell him to go."
"Swell. Just what I need. I hope you're right about this, boss. You sure he's gonna be worth it?"
"Look. I've seen what this guy can do when he's against me. If he can do the same for me, we're gonna ... we won't have so many repeat offenders. Believe it. This guy is a terror, and he straight up believes that the will of the Lord Almighty burns within him. And hey, if that's his fuel, if that's what gets him to make the results that I've seen, then he can call himself the thirteenth fucking apostle for all I care."
"Hah, fair enough there. I still can't say I feel so lucky being the guy chosen for doing this, though. Oh well, I'll live, I guess." Pulaski sighed in resignation after saying this. "So what's this guy's name, then?"
"William. And no, not Bill. William."

No comments:

Post a Comment